Thursday, July 10, 2014

Intro: the Westerlunds, Whites, Burns's and Harrigans (and Johnsons!)

This blog, Soda Bread Crumbs, is intended to be a more effective means to keep in touch with friends and relatives on my genealogical ramblings. That way, they - you - can tune in when it suits you, and I don't have to try to remember who might be interested in what and when. Also, I'm expecting it to be a more efficient way to share text and media than platforms like Facebook. Yes, I know, there are a gazillion other genealogy blogs (side note: "A gazillion? That's a lot isn't it.... Oh yeah, and Yayo too." Sorry, couldn't resist!) So this is essentially a selfish enterprise, but I hope that others find some value in it.

My family is basically three parts Irish and one part Swedish. Relevant surnames are Harrigan, Burns and White on the Irish side, and Westerlund on the Swedish side. Wait, where's Johnson? Well, just like Westerlund at the turn of the 19th Century in Sweden, it's entirely an idiosyncratic creation (at least as far as I currently know). I'll get to that story eventually. Those lineages are where I intend to focus, though, and along the way I'll probably have to vent on issues confronted in the process of following these lines back through time.

Take note, though: I am not a professional genealogist, just a hacker. On the other hand, I am a professional researcher, and I've found that many of the skills that I use in work are very helpful in this enterprise. What I value most highly is documentation, establishing that audit trail -- the soda bread crumbs -- that will enable anyone else to follow the same path and, I'm hopeful, arrive at the same conclusions. Or at least we'll know the facts upon which we disagree.

So with this introductory note out of the way, I'm going to sign off. My goal is to post at least once every two weeks. We'll see how that schedule holds up ;-).

No comments:

West Cork Update

This blog post comes to you from the city of Cork, Republic of Ireland. I had initially planned this trip to be tagged on to the end of th...